Saturday, March 25, 2023
LawShoving match at betting outlet by two old men leads to the...

Shoving match at betting outlet by two old men leads to the death of an 80-year-old

Two old men, who together were over 150 years old were suspected of arguing for some reason while lining up to bet to buy betting tickets, which turned into pushing match that resulted in an 80-year-old man falling and hitting his head. He later died.

Another old man suspected of pushing him over was arrested and charged the next day with one count of a rash act causing death and another count of voluntarily causing hurt. The rash act took place between 11.00am and 11.18am on May 8 at the 4D betting outlet at NTUC FairPrice Finest, Block 6, Marine Parade Centre.

The deceased was Cheong Hua Kwee, an 80-year-old man, and the accused, Ho Ah Wah, is 73-year-old accused.

Ho was known to operate Hua Hua Eating House, a coffeeshop at 81 Marine Parade Central, according to 8World’s findings through an Acra (Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority) search. The coffeeshop is near the betting outlet.

8World further reported that the accused and the deceased had known each other, but they did not know what led to the shoving match. On the day of the incident, Ho went to the betting outlet where the incident occurred to buy lottery tickets. He accidentally met the deceased. The two had an argument for some reason and pushed each other. This was when the deceased fell and hit his head on the ground.

According to a vendor in a nearby market, Cheong was usually seen alone and it is unclear if he had any family left.

In response to an inquiry from 8World, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said that the ambulance crew arrived at the scene of the incident at around 11:25 a.m. on the day of the incident and sent a man to Changi General Hospital for treatment. It is understood that the injured man is the deceased, he later died after medical treatment proved unfruitful.

Following his passing, Ho Ah Wah, who was suspected of pushing him down, was arrested and charged in court on May 9. According to the charges levied on him, the accused is suspected of pushing down the deceased, causing him to fall, hitting his head on the ground, causing his death. He is also accused of intentionally hurting the deceased by punching him once in the upper body at the time of the incident. Ho faces one count of a rash act causing death and another count of voluntarily causing hurt.

NTUC Fairprice said it is currently assisting the police in investigating the incident, and it cannot disclose more details.

If convicted on the count of a rash act causing death, Ho could be jailed up to five years, or fined, or both. For the count of voluntarily causing hurt, Ho could be jailed up to three years, a fined up to $5,000, or both.

- Advertisement 2-

Ho has since been released on bail for $15,000. His case will be addressed in court again on June 23.

- Advertisement -spot_img